DUDLEY STROKE ASSOCIATION
At Dudley Stroke Association we are committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what we do with it. We will do our best to use your personal information in accordance with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), and not do anything with your information that you would not reasonably expect.
How we collect information:
There are several ways in which we do this. We may receive your information from the hospital when they refer you to us for support or you may give us your information when contacting us through our website, telephone or visit to our office. We may also collect your information if you donate to us, complete an information request form or register for one of our groups. This can also include applying to be a volunteer. Information may be given to us either on the telephone, via the internet, through referrals from third parties or in person.
There is also information that we automatically collect from any device you have. This may include your IP address, device type and identification number, a broad geographic location such as the county or country and sometimes other technical information. If you contact us through the website, then we may collect information on how your device has interacted with the website which could show the pages you have accessed and any links.
By collecting information, we can see how people use our website and their areas of interest. We can use this information to ensure the website holds relevant information and make improvements. Some of the information may be collected using cookies or other types of tracking technology.
What information we may collect:
This may be basic information such as name, postal address, telephone number and email address. There may also be times when we need to know other information such as your date of birth, gender, an emergency contact and any specific medical conditions. This sensitive personal data would only be collected to ensure we have appropriate support available in case of any emergency and so we can provide the most appropriate support to you.
Why we collect your information:
We use your personal information for the purposes set out in this policy, which include:
· To provide support: we support people affected by stroke within the Dudley Borough. We provide support in several ways including via the telephone, visits, and group support. We may with your consent, process information about your health where this is relevant to the support you receive from us. You can always withdraw your consent by contacting us at any time.
· Marketing / fundraising: we will only send you emails or post where you have consented to this and will not send you marketing if you have asked us not to. To withdraw your consent or opt-out from receiving marketing at any time please contact us.
How will we use the information collected?
Personal information which has been collected in relation to specific areas such as donating or registering a request for information will be used for us to be able to meet your request.
There are several different ways we may use this information including:
· Sending you information that you have requested such as stroke packs, service information or information on health conditions.
· There may be legal requirements we have to adhere to.
· Contacting someone in an emergency.
· Knowing your medical details in case of illness or injury.
· To keep you informed of activities we provide.
· Sharing information with you about changes to our services.
· To give you a receipt for your donations.
There may be times when we need to contact you to give you information on how you can support us, and this would be with explicit consent. If you have provided your postal address, we may send information to this address until you tell us you do not wish to receive information in this way.
Usually, Dudley Stroke Association will be the ‘controller’ of your personal information. This means we are responsible for deciding how your personal information is used and to ensure that it is used in compliance with GDPR requirements.
How is any information stored and who has access to it?
Any information collected is stored securely with access restricted to a ‘need to know’ basis. Information is stored on our online CRM database; security is frequently tested to make sure it is fit for purpose.
How long is information kept for?
This is kept for as long as necessary. Where information is not needed it will be disposed of in a safe and secure way.
Sharing information about you
Dudley Stroke Association will not share or process any information about you without prior permission to do so.
Any information shared with third parties will only be in relation to our contract obligations or where we have consent to do so.
You have several rights in relation to your personal information. You should note that these rights are not absolute, so we do not always need to comply with your requests, but in this case, we will make sure we explain our reasons to you.
We may ask you to provide additional information to prove your identity, e.g., providing a document of identification, before we allow you to exercise a right. This is for security and aims to prevent fraudsters from accessing the information we hold about you. We also believe we have a legitimate interest to ensure we are allowing the correct person to exercise their rights.
You also have the following rights regarding data retention:
· Right to be informed – you have the right to be informed about the collection of your personal information, and we are also required to ensure that we are transparent with how we use your personal information.
· Right to access – you have the right to ask us to confirm whether we process any of your personal information, and to provide access to any personal information we do hold about you.
· Right to correct your personal information – we aim to ensure that all personal information is correct. Please do contact us if any of your information changes, e.g., you change email address. We will aim to update your records as soon as possible.
Links – Dudley Stroke Association website may include links to other sites, not managed by us. We cannot be held responsible for the privacy of information collected by websites not managed by us.